Director, Actuarial Solutions
We currently have an opening for a Director of Actuarial Solutions, based out of our Edmonton office (it may be possible for this role to be done from a different location). Reporting to the Vice President, Underwriting and Marketing, the incumbent leads the pricing of our products and analysis of strategic initiatives through the use of predictive analytics tools and comparative research of market prices and trends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform actuarial analysis of insurance rates, rating procedures and rating plans for personal lines (property and auto), farm and commercial auto business lines
- Develop effective rating systems
- Oversee and approve actuarial rate filings and provide support when required
- Liaise with Information Technology department on development and maintenance of our underwriting system as it relates to pricing
- Participate in preparing insurance forecasting models
- Provide advice to enterprise risk manager
- Drive the compilation and analysis of data required for reinsurance program
- Identify profitable markets and design appropriate products in conjunction with the Corporate Underwriting team
- Provide recommendations to the Executive Management team regarding pricing and products
- Keep management informed of relevant industry developments
- Oversee the results and monitor the work of the Actuarial Analyst and Assistant Actuary
- Mentor and provide professional and technical guidance to the actuarial team
- Provide support for and serve on special committees as initiated by the company
- Communicate and explain pricing and product changes in a clear and effective manner
- Participate in strategic planning with Executive and senior management
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal partners as well as external partners such as government officials and representatives, vendors and consultants
- Serve on industry committees and volunteer for actuarial profession
- Various other duties as they relate to product pricing or loss analysis
Prior experience and qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Commerce or Science Degree.
- FCIA strongly preferred. ACIA (with an ACAS or FCAS designation) will be considered.
- Minimum 15 years of property and casualty rating experience; commercial property knowledge would be considered an asset.
- Mentorship or supervisory experience
- Experience in Reinsurance
- Understanding of the industry and area of service
- Knowledge of underwriting and risk management
Skills & Abilities / Competencies
- Problem solving using quantitative and analytical skills to make data-driven decisions
- Able to manage competing/conflicting priorities while completing assignments successfully
- Analytical and research skills
- Excellent organizational, planning and implementation skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present to non-technical audiences
- Communicate impacts of changes to branches in a way that they are able to respond effectively
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Able to meet deadlines
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
- High degree of accuracy
- Familiar with predictive modeling and data manipulation tools such as R, SQL
- Customer service driven
- Confident with decision making in regards to determining project guidelines, purpose, following through and completion
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor
Working at Peace Hills
Peace Hills understands that by reducing work-life struggles, individuals can enjoy a healthier lifestyle while improving productivity at work. A collegial work environment and an excellent worklife balance are just two of the ways we do this.
If you are interested in this great opportunity to build a career, submit your resume to Peace Hills Insurance at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted.
Application Deadline: October 08, 2021